What is Megye?
Our Church is a protestant religious denomination and a community that stands on Biblical foundation. We consider our church primarily a „living body” (organism) and not an institution.
Our goal is to hold together those Hungarian Evangelical Churches that have as their mission to represent and share the Gospel of Christ, while maintaining their uniqueness.
Máté Győri – President/Chairman
Dávid Hamar – Vice President
András Apjok – General Secretary
Articles of Faith
- We believe that the Holy Bible – both the Old- and the New Testament – is God’s inpired Word. All the statements of the original scripts are true and reliable, they are the revelation of God’s will for man’s salvation and the ultimate authority over Christian faith and life.
- We believe in the One God, the perfect and everlasting Creator of everything, who is three in one: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is truly God and truly man, who was concieved by the Holy Spirit and born of Virgin Mary. According to the scripts, he was sacrificed on the cross for our sins and died, he resurrected in his body from death, entered Heaven, where He sits at the right hand of the Father. He is now our High Priest and our Intercessor.
- We believe that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is the worship of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit convinces and recreates the sinner, lives in him, leads him, gives strength and direction to the believer to live and serve according to God.
- We believe that man was created for the image of God but man committed sin, got lost because of it and can receive salvation and spiritual life only by the Holy Spirit’s renewal.
- We believe that only the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection grant justification and salvation for those who believe and only those can become the children of God who receive Jesus Christ into their hearts.
- We believe that the sacraments of the Church are baptism and the Lord’s Supper, in which believers must take part in our times as well. Nevertheless, these cannot be considered instruments of salvation.
- We believe that the Church is made up of those people that are born again from the Holy Spirit, believe in Jesus Chirst and are united in the Body of Christ, whose head is Him, Jesus.
- We believe that, in this way, only those may be chosen to be members of the local church who are members of the true Church.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord and the Head of the Church and that every local church has the right to govern themselves and make decisions about their own issues under Christ’s rule.
- We believe in the nearing personal coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and that this „blessed expectation” is vital to the personal lives and ministry of believers.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection from death: the believers will resurrect to eternal blessing and joy in the presence of the Lord, the non-believers to judgement and eternal punishment.
Why MEGYE? – A message from the President
Seeing the diversity of Jesus-followers has always filled me with joy and I have admired how over our cultural and personal differences, God’s saving love and lifelike message, the Bible, connects us. I found this multicoloured unity in the Association of Hungarian Evangelical Churches. The Sunday services are a little bit different in each local church but our Leader and Lord is the same: Jesus Christ. Because of this, we accept and welcome each other, help and love one another.
What makes MEGye special is that it’s not the Association that has local churches but the local churches make up the Association. The members of the local churches – recognising the beauty and need of common service – joined together to better fulfill our common mission (Mathew 28:19-20). The organisation therefore serves (and not controlls) the local churches in order to fulfill their common calling.
I hope we will soon meet in person so that you may experience all this amongst us! You are very welcome here with your loved ones and friends!
MEGYE Member Churches
- Agóra Corvin Gyülekezet (Budapest)
- Agóra Gellért Gyülekezet (Budapest)
- Sarokkő Evangéliumi Protestáns Gyülekezet (Budapest)
- Szegletkő Keresztény Gyülekezet (Szeged)
- Evangéliumi Keresztény Gyülekezet (Veszprém)
- Zsámboki Evangéliumi Gyülekezet (Zsámbok)